Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Putting Roots Down in Delhi

Jonas (VA) and I arrived in Delhi about a week and a half ago. I have started work at Pratham and I am having a great time-- I really like my coworkers, and I have the company of another 'new kid', Shayak, at the Pratham apartment. So we've been having a great time, cooking (for realzies! okra and rice and other veggies! legit meals. we're pretty proud ;) ) and hanging out, aaaand I've started going to frisbee! Frisbee here is pretty casual and non-competitive, but it's still frisbee, so I'm simply glad and grateful that it exists-- and it turns out that my old friend Rohan from SPS is only a few minutes away! So in only a week, this unfamiliar city is already starting to feel like a home.

I have found a really nice apartment, and I should be moving in with my 3 flatmates-- 2 Italians (a guy and a girl) and a French guy-- in the next few days, so it will be a very international and multilingual (Spanish, French, Italian, and English!) household, which of course I'm really excited for-- a chance to learn Italian and practice the others! Pictures of that will come after we've settled in and decorated.

For now, more pictures of the Jonas and Cal Adventure!


No pickles allowed on the plane to Varanasi. Domestic Airport in Delhi.


Ganesh graffiti. Spray painting of the Hindu god. Varanasi.


Woman choosing flowers to bring to the temple in Varanasi for the festival-- there were thousands of pilgrims walking barefoot through the streets to visit the holy river Ganga (known in the west as the Ganges).


Women leaving a temple on one of the ghats, or steps, down to the river Ganga. Varanasi.


Hindu worshipers bathing in the Ganga. Varanasi.


A really chill looking pilgrim. Varanasi.


Development in action. Varanasi.


Jonas and Cal at the Taj Mahal! Agra.


The Taj up close. Incredible. Agra.


Token monkey picture! I love monkeys!!! Outside the Jama Masjid Temple. Agra.

Enough for now. I miss you all! And a special shout-out to my darling Jonas, who left me a week ago today! Alas. She is soon to start posting from her new location in the capital of that fine country, the United States of America: Washington, DC! Also coming soon, a meta-blog from Jackie "Post" Thompson. Keep your eyes peeled for the latest!

1 comment: